BEUC, The European Consumer Organisation, is looking for a policy officer to reinforce its financial services team to work on retail banking files from the consumer perspective. The appointee will report to the Financial Services Team Leader.
The tasks of the position will include to:
- Provide intelligence, information and advice to the BEUC secretariat and BEUC member organisations on consumer issues related to financial services;
- More specifically, support BEUC teams in their work on files related to consumer credit, payments, mortgages, non-performing loans, over-indebtedness and retail banking, including digital finance initiatives;
- Prepare responses to consultations, position papers and technical briefings on these issues;
- Undertake EU advocacy work in these fields including representing BEUC and its member organisations in external meetings and at conferences;
- Maintain and develop contacts with EU officials, Members of the European Parliament, member state national representations and other relevant stakeholders.
The main qualifications we are looking for are:
- A University degree in economics, finance or law;
- At least three years of successful professional experience working on financial services;
- An in-depth knowledge of retail banking products, consumer finance and decision-making;
- The ability to write and communicate well in English and preferably also in French – knowledge of other EU languages would be an advantage;
- A good working knowledge of the EU institutions and legislative process;
- A proven ability to understand, appreciate and explain the technical issues which arise in the sector of financial services;
- A proven interest in understanding, appreciating and articulating the consumer interest in financial services;
- Ability to work well with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Team player; Ability to perform under pressure; Well organised.
What we offer:
- A multidisciplinary and multicultural working environment within an organisation dedicated to the promotion of the interests of consumers;
- Networking opportunities with numerous stakeholders and decision makers;
- A full-time indefinite employment contract with a competitive package (salary, fringe benefits, extra-legal paid leave, flexi-time).
Applications for the position should be sent by 17 July 2020 by e-mail to email@example.com with subject line: Financial Services Officer.
The first round of interviews will take place in the week of 3 August 2020, it could take place possibly through videoconferencing.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Your application should include the following documents (with your name as title):
- A short motivation letter;
- A detailed curriculum-vitae;
- In a separate file, answers to the following questions:
- Why would you like to work at BEUC?
- Briefly explain the main reasons that motivate you to work at BEUC, using maximum 150 words.
- Why should BEUC appoint you?
- Tell us why you think we should appoint you rather than other candidates, using maximum 150 words.
- What are, according to your analysis, the most important challenges EU consumers currently face with regard to consumer credit?
Any incomplete applications will be disregarded.
BEUC is an equal-opportunities employer.