The European Union Agency for the Space Programme (EUSPA) is an operational EU Agency that provides safe and secure European satellite navigation services, promotes the commercialization of Galileo, EGNOS, and Copernicus data and services. It also coordinates the EU’s forthcoming governmental satellite communications programme GOVSATCOM. EUSPA is also responsible for the security accreditation of all the Components of the EU Space Programme.
As of 2023, the Agency will be also entrusted with tasks related to the Space Situational Awareness (SSA) programme, particularly regarding programme security and the delivery of Space Surveillance and Tracking (SST) services.
The place of employment for this position is the Galileo Security Monitoring Centre back-up site located in Technological Institute La Marañosa, San Martín de la Vega, Community of Madrid. Madrid is an international city with several things to offer: breathtaking art, complex culture, exquisite food, and rich history. The capital of Spain has excellent connections to the rest of the country, as well as to the rest of the world, and is famous for its vibrant nightlife and welcoming people.
Qualifications We Are Looking For
We are looking to recruit two Space Surveillance & Tracking (SST) Operations Managers who will lead the operational matters as well as monitoring and reporting activities, and contribute to the operational activities within the SST area.
The jobholders will be entrusted with the following main tasks and responsibilities:
- Lead and manage operational activities related to the provision, monitoring and reporting of SST services (e.g. satellite conjunction alerts, in-orbit fragmentations, re-entry of space objects);
- Contribute to the SST projects activities (e.g. SST User approval procedure, requirements gathering, analysis and reporting, as to support the development of SST software, including the EU SST Service Provision Portal);
- Support activities related to new domains of SSA, such as Space Traffic Management (STM), and research activities on current and new services e.g. remediation, mitigation, and catalogue;
- Manage the SST monitoring and reporting activities on the development, implementation, improvement and maintenance of related tools and reporting on the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs);
- Lead the definition, monitoring and reporting of metrics and KPIs for SST activities in internal and external reviews;
- Support the operational, technical and scientific work for SST activities, including the handling of incidents and non-standard user requests, coordination of critical events, and user support as required;
- Coordinate the development, update and implementation of procedures relevant to the provision, monitoring and reporting of the SST services, while ensuring the involvement and coordination of internal and external actors;
- Prepare regular updates of the project status and of any additional material to support the promotion and usage of the provided SST services;
- Contribute to the procurement processes including the definition of the technical specifications and selection of providers for supporting operational activities, and ensure the proper management and execution of related contracts;
- Liaise with other departments, notably in the area of Administration, to ensure the execution of related corporate tasks, such as planning, reporting, administration, financial & budget management, risk management;
- Support other SST/STM project activities and contribute to other tasks as necessary.
The selection procedure is open to applicants who satisfy the following eligibility criteria, on the closing date for application:
- A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies attested by a diploma when the normal period of university education is four years or more
A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies attested by a diploma and at least one year of appropriate professional experience when the normal period of university education is three years
- In addition to the above, appropriate professional experience of at least nine years after obtaining the required diploma
- Be a national of a Member State of the European Union, Iceland or Norway
- Be entitled to his or her full rights as a citizen
- Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by the applicable laws concerning military service
- Meet the character requirements for the duties involved
- Have a thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the European Union and a satisfactory knowledge of another language of the European Union to the extent necessary for the performance of his/her duties
- Be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post