The European Union Agency for the Space Programme (EUSPA) is an operational EU Agency that provides safe and secure European satellite navigation services, promotes the commercialization of Galileo, EGNOS, and Copernicus data and services. It also coordinates the EU’s forthcoming governmental satellite communications programme GOVSATCOM. EUSPA is also responsible for the security accreditation of all the Components of the EU Space Programme.
As of 2023, the Agency will be also entrusted with tasks related to the Space Situational Awareness programme, particularly regarding programme security and the delivery of Space Surveillance and Tracking services.
The place of employment for this position is the Galileo Security Monitoring Centre back-up site located in Technological Institute La Marañosa, San Martín de la Vega, Community of Madrid. Madrid is an international city with several things to offer: breathtaking art, complex culture, exquisite food, and rich history. The capital of Spain has excellent connections to the rest of the country, as well as to the rest of the world, and is famous for its vibrant nightlife and welcoming people.
Qualifications We Are Looking For
EUSPA is looking for a Space Surveillance & Tracking (SST) Operations Officer, who will be supporting operational, reporting and monitoring activities in the SST area at EUSPA.
The jobholder will be entrusted with the following main tasks and responsibilities:
- Provision of first line support to the operational monitoring and management of the SST Service provision, including the handling of incidents and requests and user support;
- Support the establishment of interfaces among SST Users and the SST Consortium Operations Centres, and devoted services configuration mechanisms;
- Contribute to the development, update and/or integration of operational procedures and service guides for users relevant to the provision of SST services (e.g. satellite conjunction alerts, in-orbit fragmentation, uncontrolled re-entry of space objects), ensuring the involvement and coordination of internal and external actors;
- Support to the development, implementation, update and maintenance of tools for SST service provision monitoring and reporting, including data collection, pre-processing and modelling;
- Support the development of performance monitoring reports, on operational matters mainly, and considering as well potential involvement in other activities (e.g. project management, SW development);
- Preparation of any additional monitoring and performance reports, technical notes or material to support the promotion and usage of the provided SST services, user uptake or user engagement;
- Support other activities, concerning user engagement, for the support/organisation of dedicated events/actions e.g. webinars;
- Liaise with other departments, notably in the area of Administration, to ensure the execution of related corporate tasks, such as planning, reporting, administration, financial & budget management, risk management;
- Contribute to any other tasks of the Department, as necessary.
The selection procedure is open to applicants who satisfy the following eligibility criteria, on the closing date for application:
- Have a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma
- Be a national of a Member State of the European Union, Iceland or Norway
- Be entitled to his or her full rights as citizen
- Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by the applicable laws concerning military service
- Meet the character requirements for the duties involved
- Have a thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the European Union and a satisfactory knowledge of another language of the European Union to the extent necessary for the performance of his/her duties
- Be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post