GRADE: Grade 3
CONTRACT LENGTH: 12 month contract and Full-time
Level 2: either the post holder will have access to personal data about children and/or young people as part of their work; or the post holder will be working in a ‘regulated’ position (accountant, barrister, solicitor, legal executive); therefore a police check will be required from every country where the successful candidate has lived during the past 5 years (at ‘standard’ level in the UK or equivalent in other countries).
Brussels is home to the European Union, a regional institution with global impact which plays a critical role in shaping children’s lives and helping to ensure their rights are fulfilled. The EU specifically addresses children’s rights and child protection concerns and has a direct role in relation to the situations of children who are vulnerable, socially excluded and/or affected by poverty in Europe and globally.
The post holder will undertake the media and campaigns at the Save the Children Europe office– particularly those relating to EU policies affecting children in EU external policies and relating to global health. This will include media and communications elements of the EU office’s contribution to the Save the Children Global Campaign ‘Every Last Child’ focused on achieving the Sustainable Development Goals, notably relating to health and nutrition, as well as our work on with and for the most vulnerable and excluded children - migrant and refugee children, children affected by conflict, or extreme poverty, and girls to achieve their rights:
The post-holder will use innovative campaign and communications approaches to ensure that Save the Children’s work impacts on the Brussels (EU) communications sphere in news, print and new media and that the voices of children and their priorities are heard by decision-makers.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Senior Advocacy Advisor
Staff reporting to this post: none
Key internal relationships: Save the Children Global Media Unit (GMU); Global Campaign team; European members; media and Comms focal points;
Budget Responsibilities: n/a
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Developing strategic media and campaign work for the Save the Children Global Campaigns – Every Last Child and Protect a Generation (COVID response campaign) - ensuring the Brussels activities of the campaigns are covered by the Brussels media in liaison with communication colleagues across Save the Children;
- Media and Communications work relating to global Save the Children advocacy products such as new reports – ensuring broad EU media coverage of reports and advocacy products and working with communication colleagues across Save the Children to ensure greatest impact;
- Working with the Donor Relations Unit to achieve visibility for our EU-funded programmes with donors, media and other important stakeholders (ie European Parliament);
- Developing relationships with key media sources and media influencers in Brussels and Belgium;
- Maintaining Save the Children Europe’s presence in social media platforms (mainly Twitter and Facebook);
- Devising media and communications activities to support the work of Save the Children Europe – including supporting the development of communication activities (e.g. blogs, press releases) and content creation (infographics, tweet cards etc);
- Develop and manage mini campaigns for the Brussels audience with advocacy staff including around child health week in November.
- Coordinating pan-European media work in relation to the Global campaign and European advocacy and campaigning in close collaboration with Save the Children’s Global Media Unit (GMU) and Save the Children members;
- Devising innovative approaches to ensure children’s voices are heard by decision-makers at the European level.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (SCI Values in Practice)
- holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving communicating and role modelling Save the Children values
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and fellow members of the team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others in the team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with the team, colleagues, SC Members and external partners and supporters
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Education to Master’s level, with a qualification in international relations/economics/politics/law, or a related EU policy field is desirable. Education to Bachelor’s degree level is essential.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Substantial experience in Communications and Media: previous experience of working in broadcasting and/or press agencies welcome;
- Relevant working experience in Communications on EU development, international relation issues either for a non-governmental organisation or international organisation
- Good knowledge and understanding of the EU, and its role in in development, humanitarian, and poverty issues globally as well as in the EU
- Proven ability to design Communication / Media / Campaigns strategies and implement them effectively
- Excellent communication skills, proven ability to tailor messages to non-specialist audiences, especially through new media and mainstream EU news media
- Strong aptitude for creative and visual Communications and campaigning– experience in putting together multimedia strategies and content creation (infographics, tweet sheets, videos etc) is essential. Experience using key design software (ie adobe creative suite) or ability/appetite to learn will be a key asset for the role.
- Understanding of press corps and experience in relationship and network building with journalists
- Strong convening and coordination skills and proven ability to manage relationships across complex organisations to deliver projects
- Experience of successfully operating in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- A commitment to and an understanding of NGO work at European level
- Commitment to Save the Children’s values
- Ability to work and write in English and a good command of French.
Additional job responsibilities
The job duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
Health and Safety
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
this job offer is not open for applications