Europe's leading clean transport think tank and campaign group, Transport & Environment (T&E), is currently seeking a highly motivated and proactive individual in the area of climate and transport policy. This is a new role based in T&E’s Brussels office.
The position requires a person with a strong understanding of how to influence policy, the ability to think critically and strategically, as well as effective communication skills. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to grasp technical issues and translate them into simple and persuasive policy messages.
We offer the chance to help shape policies with huge implications for people and the environment in Europe and across the globe, as well as a competitive salary with a substantial package of benefits.
The role will involve:
- Leading a T&E campaign to ensure that the review of the Effort Sharing Regulation, in the context of the European Green Deal, increases ambition of this climate tool, while keeping and improving its environmental robustness, and remains a major driver to reduce transport emissions;
- Working to ensure that road transport is not included in the Emissions Trading System, and other carbon pricing tools are used instead;
- Mapping other potential relevant processes in the field of climate policy that might be relevant for T&E and coordinating overall T&E work on cross-cutting climate related files, liaising with colleagues within the T&E team when relevant;
- Commissioning and delivering impactful research (both internally with the Trends & Analysis team, but also externally) tailored to the needs of the campaign;
- Drafting policy papers (including defining T&E positions), preparing presentations, organising and participating in public meetings with policy and wider stakeholders, and providing feedback to relevant consultations;
- Building and maintaining good contact with policy-makers, other climate NGOs and other relevant stakeholders;
- Coordinating and liaising with T&E national network and members across Europe on these campaigns.
The successful candidate should meet the following criteria:
- Three to 10 years of relevant experience in EU advocacy. Experience in the climate or energy fields are a plus. The professional experience of the candidate will be key to determining the entry level (policy officer or policy manager);
- A positive, can-do attitude with high work autonomy levels and the capacity to run a campaign with limited supervision;
- The ability to absorb and understand technical, economic and legal language, to independently develop new technical, economic or legal arguments and evidence, and use them to convince key stakeholders;
- A solid grasp of EU policy-making processes;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to understand and communicate complex issues clearly and with impact;
- The ability to write in English fluently, accurately and concisely;
- Project management experience and an ability to deliver to tight deadlines.
The successful candidate would ideally have:
- A personal commitment to sustainable transport and the aims of T&E;
- The ability to speak at least one other EU language fluently, preferably (but not necessarily) German.
Deadline for applications: Sunday 13th September 2020.
This is a full-time position based in Brussels, with an initial two-year contract. A more flexible working schedule can be discussed.
Applications should be sent by email to email@example.com with the application form (downloadable here), one-page cover letter and CV, all within one single document and in the following order: application form, cover letter and CV. Please name the file as follows: Firstname_Lastname_Climate. Also, please ensure the title of the job vacancy is shown in the subject line of your email.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 13th September 2020. First-round interviews are scheduled to be held in late September in Brussels or by videoconference. A second round of interviews will follow shortly after. The successful candidate will be expected to start during the Autumn. T&E is an equal opportunities employer.
T&E anticipates a high number of applications and only shortlisted candidates for the first round of interviews will be contacted.
this job offer is not open for applications