VACANCY NOTICE V/AD/AEL/1/2020
The European University Institute (EUI), based in Florence, Italy is organising a selection procedure based on qualifications and tests to draw up a reserve list of
Administrative Assistant AST 1 (Temporary agent post, type 2a)
Within the Academy of European Law
Who We Are
The European University Institute (EUI) at a glance:
- an international organisation set up in 1972;
- a research university focusing exclusively on doctoral and post-doctoral studies, and advanced research;
- located in the hills overlooking the city of Florence, Italy.
The Institute also hosts the Historical Archives of the European Union.
More on our Institution: https://www.eui.eu/About
The Academy of European Law (AEL) offers advanced-level summer courses in Human Rights Law and the Law of the European Union. It also manages several important research projects and runs a publications programme.
The Academy of European Law hosts the Secretariat of the European Society of International Law (ESIL). ESIL is a dynamic network of researchers, scholars and practitioners in the field of international law. The Society’s goals are to contribute to the rule of law in international relations and to promote the study of international law. ESIL events take place all over Europe. Since its inauguration in 2004, there has been a major ESIL event each year. In addition to the annual conferences, the Society organises a range of joint events with different European institutions, such as the European Court of Human Rights, the Court of Justice of the EU, and universities and other institutions throughout Europe.
Your Key Responsibilities
The Academy of European law is looking for a dynamic Administrative Assistant who will be responsible for the Secretariat of the European Society of International Law (ESIL), supported by a Research Assistant.
The main duties may include the following:
Level of Expertise:
- Expertise in administrative processes to ensure compliance with administrative regulations;
- Expertise in writing and editing texts, in English and French, for publication;
- Expertise in web editing;
- Expertise in supporting the organization of events.
Policy/ Strategy Making:
- Contribution to overall ESIL strategy;
- Drafting documents with information about ESIL activities;
- Regularly providing insights, statistics and data to support the ESIL Board.
- Representation of the EUI at European Society of International Law (ESIL) events;
- Attendance at high-level Board meetings, including preparation of agendas and minutes;
- Acting as contact point for communication with all members / potential members of the Society;
- Contribution to implementation of all ESIL communication tasks, including newsletters and other correspondence, a bilingual (English / French) website, and social media.
Level of autonomy and accountability:
- High level of autonomy;
- Accountable for all tasks performed by the ESIL Secretariat staff;
- Report to the Academy Coordinator, the academic Programme Director, and the ESIL Executive Committee.
Role in administrative processes:
- Management of the daily coordination of the ESIL project;
- Providing general administrative support for all aspects of the ESIL project, including all high-level ESIL events.
Finance and procurement:
- Support financial and procurement procedures;
- Oversight of membership payments and other financial matters;
- Verification of commitments, payments, etc.
- Support and training of the Research Assistant, to ensure that administrative rules and procedures are followed.
- Management of ESIL budgets;
- Drafting and presentation of annual membership and financial reports at Board meetings;
- Support the Academy Coordinator and the responsible academic programme director with project-related budget forecasts.
Your Key Competencies
All staff at the EUI share the following competencies:
- Ethics and integrity
- Working in a multicultural environment
- Delivering quality and results
Competencies specific to the unit include the following:
- Project and Task Management
- Knowledge – Language (English and French)
- Delivering quality and results
- Interpersonal Skills
What We Offer
- A role in an inspiring community of young scholars with an exclusive focus on doctoral and post-doctoral studies;
- A world-class research library, the Historical Archives of the European Union, and many other excellent research facilities;
- Language courses and soft skills training;
- Access to all EUI facilities: library, crèche, cafeteria, gym, participation in seminars and workshops;
- Competitive salary package including health and pension plan;
- A healthy work-life balance in a family-friendly environment.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted electronically using the V/AD/AEL/1/2020 online application form available at
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 18/05/2020 at 24:00 CET
Before completing the online application form you are invited to read ANNEXES I & II that represent an integral part of this vacancy notice.
Annex I – Eligibility and Selection Criteria
On the closing date for online applications, you must fulfil all the following general and specific conditions:
1. General conditions
- Being a national of a Member State of the European Union;
- Enjoying full rights as a citizen attested by a recent extract from judicial records and/or certificate of good conduct proving no previous conviction for a criminal or administrative offence that could call into question his/her suitability for performing the duties of the post;
- Having fulfilled any obligations imposed by the laws on military service;
- Being physically fit to perform the duties.
2. Specific conditions
- A level of post-secondary education attested by a diploma, or
- a level of secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to higher education, and appropriate professional experience of at least three years. This professional experience will be considered part of the educational qualification and will not be taken into account in the required numbers of professional experience under 2.2.2.
2.2. Professional experience
By the deadline for applications, and in addition to the qualifications required above, you must have at least three years of relevant professional experience gained after obtaining the diploma required under 2.1.
Knowledge of Languages
- Main language: have a thorough knowledge of one official language of the European Union; and
- Second language: a satisfactory knowledge of another official language of the European Union to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties.
- Skills directly relevant to the profile, attested by a diploma or equivalent professional experience: strong organisational, drafting, and editing skills
- Good knowledge of office automation software and web editing skills
- Ability to coordinate tasks, projects and budgets/finances autonomously
- Excellent knowledge of English and French (CEFR level C1 or above, in both languages)
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing, preferably with previous experience in a membership-focused organization
- Experience with the management of externally-funded research projects
- Experience in language editing and translation
- Experience / ability to work as part of a multinational and multidisciplinary team in an international environment
this job offer is not open for applications