We are recruiting an experienced and motivated mid-career Research Fellow with a background in policy and stakeholder engagement on energy, climate or industry. You will be part of SEI’s growing team providing knowledge and setting the agenda on the industry and oil and gas transition.
The Research Fellow will play a pivotal role in our emerging practice area on oil and gas and industry transitions, which is a prominent topic in SEI’s research. We envision this role will explore how policy, finance and business practices in carbon-intensive industry sectors can be aligned to achieve climate neutrality consistent with Paris Agreement and the latest scientific evidence from the IPCC.
Key duties and responsibilities include
- Contribute to conceptual and methodological development of research on oil and gas and harder-to-abate industry transitions and socio-technical change;
- Conduct interdisciplinary research on sustainability, climate change, and governance of energy, industry and natural resources and play a key role in enhancing SEI’s evidence-based policy influence and impact on transition of carbon-intensive industries, providing recommendations to governments and companies on and working to identify viable pathways to net-zero emissions;
- Support effective internal and external outreach on industry transition together with the communications team and engage with policymakers and other target audiences, including attending or hosting meetings and events, virtually and elsewhere;
- Bring skills and experience to SEI’s wider team working on related fields, such as global climate change governance, the geopolitics of environmental change and international relations in the context of sustainable development.
Who you are
We are looking for a person with a strong research interest in innovations, policy analysis, and governance of transitions of socio-technical systems, and a proven ability to engage stakeholders and influence policy in energy transition, climate change and/or industry transition. To succeed in this role, you should be driven, motivated, organized and a strong team player.
You have experience of managing and coordinating complex projects with multiple stakeholders, including budget management and financial reporting, team leadership, funder and consortium relations, etc.
Required qualifications and experience
- PhD in a relevant subject (e.g. industrial economics and policy, socio-technical systems, economic geography or other fields that are relevant to the topic), or equivalent experience of delivering independent high-quality research;
- Track record of using research to influence policy and practice, including demonstrable experience in and ability to convene and engage stakeholders and to influence policy processes;
- Interdisciplinary research expertise with the ability to work across industry contexts when looking at transition pathways;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, for both technical and lay audiences;
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary diverse teams, including teams comprising of researchers, technical roles and policymakers.
Ideally, the candidate would also bring:
- Strong ability and foresight to understand and respond to political developments and challenges;
- Proven expertise in a relevant methodology or discipline (e.g. network analysis, foresight, modelling, data science, etc.), and/or equivalent expertise working with mixed methods approaches to solve complex problems;
- Proven capacity for creative and innovative research design focusing on low-carbon innovation, energy sector governance and industry decarbonization;
- Work experience in developing country contexts;
- Experience from a multilateral organization or industry experience is an advantage
- Swedish speaking skills.
How to apply (Research Fellow on industry decarbonization and just transition)
We are reviewing applications on an ongoing basis so please submit your application as soon as possible, however no later than 2 May 2021, 23:59 Stockholm local time.
Applications should be written in English and consist of a short CV and cover letter (maximum 1 page). As we only accept applications through our recruitment system, please apply online using the button below and include:
- Cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience
- Curriculum vitae.
this job offer is not open for applications