FIAN Belgium (member of FIAN International) is opening a position for an advocacy officer in charge of leading FIAN Belgium’s advocacy and campaign work at EU level in collaboration with the other European FIAN sections.
Who we are
FIAN International is an international human rights organization that has advocated for the human right to adequate food and nutrition since 1986. FIAN’s mission is to expose violations and abuses of people’s right to food wherever they may occur and to advocate for policies that guarantee the realization of the right to adequate food and nutrition. FIAN International is composed of 20 national sections across Africa, Asia, Latin America and Europe. See www.fian.org
FIAN Belgium was founded in 1986 as a national section of FIAN International. FIAN Belgium has a small and dynamic staff of 8 people. Its office is based in Brussels close to the European institutions. For its EU advocacy work, FIAN Belgium closely collaborates with the International Secretariat and the 6 other European FIAN sections. See www.fian.be
The position is 80% for one year, with the possibility of extension (depending on available funding).
Duties include :
- To lead FIAN Belgium’s advocacy and campaign work at the EU level, in collaboration with FIAN International Secretariat and other European FIAN sections. Relevant issues and policies include : the EU Farm to Fork strategy and other food related policies, peasants rights, land governance, health and nutrition, climate and environment, business and human rights, EU external policies impacting the right to food (development cooperation, trade), etc.
- To coordinate FIAN’s European advocacy and campaign strategy towards the 2021 UN Food Systems Summit.
- To liaise with social movements and civil-society organizations and represent FIAN Belgium in relevant civil-society networks at European level. In particular to support the work of Nyéléni Europe and Central Asia (the European Food Sovereignty Movement).
- To seek funding opportunities and draft project proposals to maintain the position.
- To organize advocacy and campaign activities such as : advocacy meetings, speakers tours, seminars, training and capacity-building workshops, public activities and direct actions, media work, etc.
- To participate in the daily management of the organization including logistical and administrative tasks.
The ideal candidate has good knowledge and previous experience with EU institutions and above mentioned issues and policies. She/He must be in line with FIAN’s vision and mission towards a radical change of food systems based on a human rights and food sovereignty perspective. She/He should demonstrate previous experience in supporting and facilitating the work of social movements and civil-society networks. We are looking for a dynamic candidate with strong interpersonal and coordinating skills, who is able to work in great autonomy within a small and horizontal team. The candidate must have some flexibility to work during the evenings and the weekends and to travel within Europe. The working language is English and the person should be able to work in a French-speaking environment. Knowledge of any other European language will be highly considered, as much as digital and communication skills.
- Master’s level education and/or training in Human Rights, Political Science, European studies, Food and Nutrition, Social Studies, Law or related field—or equivalent experience.
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience with European institutions and/or international organizations.
- Proficiency in English and working capacities in French. Spanish is highly appreciated. Dutch or German are an asset.
- Proven experience of networking with civil-society organizations and social movements.
- Strong analytical skills, particularly in the field of policy and human rights.
- Fundraising capacities and proven experience in project management.
- Capacity to reach out to and coordinate with diverse human rights organizations, social movements’ activists, academics and government officials.
We offer :
- Work in an internationally renowned Human Rights organization.
- Being part of a highly motivated and horizontal team.
- 80% position for a 1 year contract (with possibility to extend). The position is based in Brussels in the office of FIAN Belgium (www.fian.be), within a 15 minute walk from the EU institutions.
- Salary and working conditions according to the grid applied by the organisation (see Belgian joint committee 329.02). Example for 4 years experience (80%) : 2.384€/month gross salary + transport costs + meal voucher (7€/day) and one annual eco-voucher (80€).
We highly encourage gender and cultural diversity in our team !
Start Date : January 2021
To apply :
- Send an email to fian[at]fian.be with the subject title : EU Advocacy position – Your name.
- Please attach to your email a curriculum vitae, a letter of interest (maximum 1,5 page) and contact information for three references, preferably in one PDF.
- Application must be submitted before November 22nd, 2020 (midnight). Additional documents may be required on demand.
- For important queries, you can write to manu[at]fian.be. Short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview to take place early December.
- More information at www.fian.be and www.fian.org
this job offer is not open for applications