Based in the Friends of the Earth Europe office in Brussels, full time, to start as soon as possible.
Deadline for applications: 24h00 CET on 25th of October 2020.
This job is an excellent opportunity to join one of the leading environmental organisations in Brussels. Friends of the Earth Europe (FoE Europe) campaigns for sustainable and just societies and for protection of the environment. It unites more than 30 national organisations with thousands of local groups and is part of Friends of the Earth International, the world’s largest grassroots environmental network.
The Grant Manager will ensure monitoring and reporting of FoE Europe’s grants in the field of advocacy, awareness raising and grass-roots education in compliance with the requirements from our donors (EU, national governments and private funders). The Grant Manager will help ensure accountability and oversight of FoE Europe’s multi-beneficiary grants by means of capacity building and training of staff of FoE Europe and it’s project partners; proper management and compliance with grant requirements, project financial reporting, project audits; monitoring of project implementation, deliverables and outcomes. An important role will also be to assure a coherence and alignment between financial requirements and accountability on one side, and project management on the other.
- Develop and implement procedures, tools and guidelines to manage FoE Europe’s multi-beneficiary grants according to donor requirements and internal policies;
- Ensure accountability and compliance with grant requirements by setting up grant management, reporting and archiving systems;
- Review grants requirements and budgets to ensure that the appropriate procedures, guidelines and monitoring tools are set up ahead of implementation;
- Track expenses vs. budgets and advise management about possible over/under expenditure;
- Act as the first contact person with donors, auditors, consultants and project partners on issues related to grant management;
- Prepare training and resource materials on grant requirements and project management and provide trainings to FoE Europe’s project staff, as well as to project partners.
- Coordinate and facilitate re-granting to project partners;
- Maintain overview of all subgrants contracts and related financial balances and prepare documentation for payments.
- Facilitate project Audits for EU and other grants under the supervision of the Finance Manager;
- Design and develop reporting and filing systems that allow a smooth process for audit controls;
- Follow up on audit findings and communication with donors.
- Oversee the implementation of project phases and coordinate with FoE Europe’s and project partners’ staff to ensure that all relevant information is shared;
- Perform a full range of consultative, advisory, monitoring, information gathering, evaluation and analysis in FoE Europe’s project management;
- Identify and advise management on the level of financial support and capacity needed for project implementation (incl. resource planning);
- Support the preparation of funding proposals to the European Commission or other donors, assisting in resource planning, project cycle planning and monitoring.
- Committed to Friends of the Earth’s vision, mission and values;
- Relevant professional qualifications in finance and/or accounting, proven 3 years hands-on accounting experience;
- Strong analytical skills. Detail oriented and ability to work and interpret numbers, figures and other financial information;
- Relevant professional experience in project management of EU funded projects;
- Solid experience in preparation of financial reports, project budgeting and controlling of EU and Private Grants;
- Solid knowledge and experience in EC’s project cycle management;
- An international approach and understanding of cultural differences, strong communication, diplomacy and negotiation skills;
- Ability to tackle multiple deadlines and requirements, be a self-starter, innovative and demonstrate the capacity for maintaining high professional standards;
- Proficiency in MS Office Applications and especially Excel;
- Excellent command of English, which is the working language for this post.
- A background in NGO or voluntary activities;
- Knowledge of EU Auditing Standards;
- Experience working with accounting software packages, especially SAGE BOB 50;
- Experience with information systems support;
- Experience in tendering, subcontracting and management of consultants or administrative assistants;
- Working knowledge of French and/or Dutch are an advantage.
The position will be based in Brussels (full-time, 5 days a week). Ability to travel to national offices will be a requirement to review grants compliance, conduct trainings, internal audits, etc.
Remuneration: between €2.875 and €3,575 (gross), depending on experience. FoE Europe offers an attractive benefits package, including a 13th month, lunch vouchers, an additional 5 days of holidays per year, pension scheme, hospitalisation and comprehensive travel insurance. We also offer full coverage of train travel in case of commuting within Belgium.
Conditions are according to Belgian legislation; hence the position is open solely to persons with right to live and work in the EU. FoE Europe adheres to Belgian law that prohibits discrimination on basis of age, sexual orientation, marital status, birth, fortune, religious, philosophical or political beliefs, language, present or future state of health, disability, physical or genetic characteristics, sex, pregnancy, childbirth, maternity, change of sex, nationality, alleged race, skin colour, ancestry, national, ethnic or social origin. FoE Europe strives to make our office as diverse as possible.
If you feel you meet our criteria, and feel inspired by the objectives and challenges of the position, send us a motivation letter in English with a CV and contact details for two references to email@example.com by 24:00 CET on 25th of October 2020, mentioning “grant manager” in the subject of the message. Tests and interviews are planned early November 2020. The position starts thereafter.
For this application only shortlisted candidates will be contacted – thank you for your understanding.